Thursday, January 14, 2010

My friend Kristins' Cheesy Corn and Potato Chowder

This chowder tastes way better than the one we had this week so I have to share it.

Cheesy Corn and Potato Chowder

(with my alerations) (Kristin's alterations, I followed them exactly and this soup rocked!)

This makes a LARGE batch...


4-5 strips of bacon, raw, chopped
4-5 stalks celery
1 large onion, chopped
5 C. Chicken broth
5-6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cans of creamed corn
1 (4oz.) can diced green chiles (can use the 7oz. can if you really like chiles)
1 (2.5oz.) package country style white gravy (I use the peppered one)
2 c. milk and/or cream (I end up doing half nonfat milk and half 1/2 & 1/2 to make it a little healthier)
1-2 c. shredded cheddar cheese (depending on your taste)

1) cook bacon till the fat is rendered, add onion and celery. Cook till tender (I make sure it is very soft before I move on so it will desolve and the kids don't find it)

2) add the chicken broth, bring to a boil. Add potatoes, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes. (I cook it till the potatoes are falling apart, I like the texture in the end when you cook it this long, more chowder like)

3) stir in corn and chiles, do not drain the corn. Return to a boil. Dissolve gravy mix in milk/cream, stir into boiling mixture, reduce to a simmer.

4) If you feel it is too thin, add another gravy package to the soup. Add cheese to pot, cook until it is melted and blended in.

That's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment